The history of KŽ and establishment of ENERGA KD s.r.o.
The predecessor of the companny Energo KD s.r.o., server operating "energetika" had been for decades the part of former Králův Dvůr Iron and Steel Factory premises, which was one of the oldest iron and steel businesses in the Czech Republic. It continues in a hundred year old tradition in a region rich with raw materials, plenty of wood and abundant with water. Also, it has an advantage that it had in the past- placed in the middle of Bohemia, not far from Prague, and now on highway D5 to Plzen and Bavaria. The first workers were here in the 13th century. Iron works were established here in 1346 by the Czech King and Ceasar of the Holy Roman Empire Karl IV, and probably after this the name Karlova Huť ( Charles Iron and Steel Works) was used. A little bit earlier Popovicka Iron and Steel Works had been established.
Over time, the place changed hands until 1586, when the known and rich Lobkovic family bought it. Mr. Lobkovic brought with him a business spirit to the Iron and Steel Factory, and in 1595 had brought to Králův Dvůr a famous French specialist and businessman named knight Jindřicha Kašpara from Sarthu, who started to produce ammunition. Also, he had built here the first tall furnace in all of Bohemia.
At the end of the 16th century, Karlova Huť came under the direction of the King's Chamber Estate. In 1860, Mr. Fürstenberg became the owner. In the next 20 years, the last wood/coal furnace was destroyed and iron ore began to be heated up by coke, and major reconstruction took place. Modern furnaces, foundries with deep pouring pipes, model workshops, metal workshops with lathes, blacksmith shops, steam blowers, and conveyor lines for transportation of lime from the nearby quary were all part of this reconstruction.
In 1880 Karlova Huť was sold to the Austrian Real Credit Bank, which established a Czech Iron Ore Miners Corporation. From that time on it came to be called Králodvorské železárny, (Králův Dvůr Iron and Steel Factory). Technical development continued, the factory had electric brought in, and a 15-ton Siemens-Martinovy furnace was built, as well as a Thomas steel shop, two more tall furnaces, and even a factory hotel and hospital. In the last 30 years of the 19 century Králův Dvůr Iron and Steel Factory was among the most modern businesses of Austria-Hungary. It became a place where known specialists would meet, and where new technical inventions were tried.
At the beginning of the 20th century there was more development. In 1905 there was finished a rolling shop for thin sheets and production was started of transformator and dynamic sheets. Also, an administration building was built, the water supply was finished as well as more accomodations for workers. Also sales were widened to include casting pour-offs. A milestone was reached in 1909, when the Czech Miners Corporaton finished and the new owner became the Prague Iron Corporation.
Development stopped during the first World War. It picked back up again in the years between the two world wars. During this time, production was started on cold rolling steel in 1938.
1953, 1963, 1968, 1969, 1985
After the second World War, The Prague Iron Corporation and all its businesses finished and the Králův Dvůr Iron and Steel Factory belonged to the State. Into the organizational structure of KŽ was included the factory for galvanized steel in Velké Šenové. In 1953 operation started in the foundry with centrifugal pipes, in 1963 production was started in a new shaping foundry, and in 1968 there was production in cast iron profiles. In 1969, operation started on anti-corosive cold rolling steel lines, and in 1985 on low coal cold rolling steel lines. The traditional program - raw iron and hot sheet rolling- was stopped in the 1980's, the pipe program was gradually limited until it was finished in 1994. The factory also had a part in other builing programs in the areas of Králův Dvůr and Beroun (residences, sport stadiums, centers, and halls, tennis courts, swimming pools, etc.)
The modern history of the factory began to be written between 1989 and 1994, when it gradually was transfered from State property to a share holding company.Through other procesess it was transformed into a group holding corporation- Králodvorské železárny (Králův Dvůr Iron and Steel Works) Válcovna za studena s.r.o., Králodvorské železárny Slévárna s.r.o., Králodvorské železárny ENERGO s.r.o., Králodvorské železárny MECHANIKA s.r.o., CONTIPROFILE s.r.o., Železárny Velký Šenov s.r.o. Later there was added Králodvorské železárny Služby s.r.o. a Kerval s.r.o. Besides CONTIPROFILE s.r.o.
From 1994 till now
After the year 1994 was subsequently in progress the sale of particular companies. Recently operate in Králův Dvůr industry area 15 different entrepreneurial subjects, which are being energy supported by ENERGO KD s.r.o.